Hi quest ,  welcome  |  sign in  |  registered now  |  need help ?

A million little pieces

Written By Anonymous on May 16, 2011 | 4:56 PM

Advertisement
'A Million Little Pieces' author James Frey defends 'memoir' on Oprah
james-frey.jpg

Author James Frey faces Oprah Winfrey for the aboriginal time in bristles years as one of her best memorable guests during a two allotment actualization this week.

Frey was targeted by Oprah aback in 2006, back it became bright that his account blue-blooded "A Million Little Pieces," which she had called for her book club, was based added on fiction than fact. At the time, Oprah had said "I feel duped. But added importantly, I feel that you betrayed millions of readers."

Frey is sitting down with the talk show maven on Monday (May 16) and Tuesday to defend himself and come clean about the mistruths portrayed in his novel.

"I was dishonest in promoting the book," he admits.

"We originally shopped the book as a novel," Frey explains. "When I sat down to write the book, I didn't think of it as a memoir, I didn't think of it as an novel even. I thought of it as some, in a way, statement of defiance."

He continues to explain that when writing the book itself, he didn't write with regard to grammar, punctuation or even what genre it would fall under.

"I was thinking about it in the way that writers I admired and who mean something to me wrote," Frey says of the legendary Jack Kerouac and Henry Miller. "These were writers who wrote books about their own lives in some way, but they tried to make art out of what they lived. I don't think they were concerned about 'Is this fact or is this not, is this fiction or non fiction?' They were just trying to tell a story in the best way they could and in a way that made sense to them."

Frey's family retreated to France after the controversy went down, but the author hardly believes he's the first to commit such sins.

"I don't have a  whole lot of respect for the genre." he says of memoirs.  "I think most writers of memoirs, and this is a very unpopular statement, do what I did. I think when you're trying to tell a story and write a book, you manipulate things. You embellish things, you fabricate things, you play around with things to tell the best story you can."

When Oprah asks whether or not Frey felt that the backlash was deserved, he tells her that "I thought I got ambushed, absolutely." But adds that "I made a mistake and at a certain point it came time to pay for it. And I paid for it."

The public is generally split on whether the backlash is deserved, but Frey insists that he only meant well with the book.

"I was trying to write a book that might help people," he says. "I always hoped that the book would help people who were addicts or help the family members or friends of addicts, that it would give them a different way to think about it." Something that Oprah acknowledges was a success.

Tune in tomorrow for another full hour with the author, during which Oprah herself will acknowledge her own mistakes and regrets from that interview in 2006. 

By Sophie Schillaci

Tags: james frey on oprah, our world, palombo, pasi nurminen, pedrosa simoncelli 

Relate post:
NASA TV to Air 2011 U.S. Astronaut Hall of Fame
Survivor Winner Revealed!
Cannes 2011 review: The Tree of Life
RONNIE JAMES DIO ONE YEAR DEATH ANNIVERSARY - VIDEO
Aztec track takes second at state
IMF chief's arrest rocks French presidential race
Map of europe

Warung Bebas Videos

0 comments:

Post a Comment